Viewing and Adding Notes
When you view Notes, you can first select the cabinet and folder for the Notes you would like to view.
Click on the Family Notes icon in the toolbar to view Notes for all family members from the same screen. This will add a Name column to the Notes screen which will list all family member names. If you click again you can change back to “Individual Notes”.
Tip: Point to any icon and a yellow popup window will describe the icon for you!
New Notes are automatically saved in the Comment folder under the Patient cabinet when they are entered from this Notes screen. However, you can also save them in either the Clinical or Admin(istrative) cabinets by marking the option next to “Save to” in the Notes screen.
Notes are automatically saved in the EMR folder under the Clinical cabinet if you are documenting using MOGO’s Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system.
- You must have login rights to “Access EMR Documentation” in order to view the EMR folder in Notes. If you do not have rights, the folder will not be shown.
- If the user has rights to “Access EMR” and “Edit Existing EMR/QRP documents”, they can also delete the clinical documentation in Notes. If they do not have rights to edit, the Delete option will not be in the right click menu.
- In order to comply with HIPAA Regulations, the Supervisor can “Lock Clinical Notes” within a specified number of days. This is available in Office Setup. HIPAA Regulation locking takes precedence over all other editing rights.
You can resize this screen by clicking and dragging the borders of the Notes screen. You can also resize columns by clicking and dragging the vertical dividing lines between the column titles. You can use the arrow in the scroll bar to move to the right to view all columns shown on the Notes list.
To view Notes or Comments from the Patient Lookup List follow these steps:
- Select the patient by clicking with the left mouse button.
- Click on the Notes icon.
- Click on Documents from the menu bar and select View Notes.
The top part of the Notes screen will have columns showing the Date, Time, Category (folder), SubCategory (sub-folder), Watch, Who (login name), Linked Detail, and Comments.
Tip: Point to any column and click with the right mouse in this area to open a popup menu. This would be a quick way to change the sorting order of that column!
The Date and Time columns are filled in by MOGO automatically when a Notes is saved.
The columns for Category and SubCategory (folders and sub-folders) fill in automatically. For example, the Category column may show “RemInsFrm” for insurance form Remarks. The SubCategory column may show “Recall” for information concerning Recall cards that have been sent.
Any Notes that have been marked to “Display in Watch” will have a checkmark under the Watch column.
The Who column will contain the login name of the user when the Notes were entered. Tip: Right click and Sort by “Who” to group Notes together based on the login name.
The column for Linked Detail can be seen by using the arrow in the scroll bar to move to the right.
- This column will be filled in automatically when Notes are sent from the To Do List.
- It will also show the linked treatment code when the EMR is used.
The Comments column will usually contain the first line of the Notes that were entered. However, the information displayed in this field depends on the width of the row.
There are also gray multi-selection boxes on the left side of the columns. The box with the arrow is the selected Note.
You can increase the width of the rows by pointing your cursor to the horizontal dividing line in the gray multi-selection boxes on the left side, and then clicking and dragging to increase or decrease the width.
The white box at the bottom of the screen will show the content of the selected Note. This will depend on the Note that is selected from above. You can just click on the list to select a different Note.
Tip: Click with the right mouse in the white text box to open a popup menu of standard editing features, such as Copy and Paste.
The status bar at the bottom of the Notes screen will show the number of comments, the current date and time, and who is logged into this computer. Medical Alerts are also displayed in the status bar.
The Email column will contain a checkmark if this selection was sent via email. Scroll to the right to see the Email column. Double click on the Email column to view the original email, or click on the email link in Notes.
Tip: You can click and drag column headings to rearrange the list.
There is a yellow Help screen on the lower right side of Notes, which explains how to use Notes. You can click on Close to close Help. Double click on the bottom right corner of the status bar to open Help again.
To add a new Note:
- Click on the New icon. The current date and time and login name will be indicated on the gray status bar at the bottom of the screen
- Type in your new patient Notes.
- Next to “Save to” the Patient cabinet will be marked by default. You can change this to either Clinical or Admin(istrative) cabinet.
- Click on the Save and Exit icon when finished.
- MOGO will ask “Save Current Editing?” Click on Yes to save.
If you are logged in as the Supervisor, there will be a Delete icon at the top of the Notes screen. If you are not the Supervisor, the icon will not be shown.
The editing features in Notes are available by clicking with the right mouse on the Notes screen. This will open a popup menu containing editing features. Only the Supervisor (or someone with Supervisor rights) can delete existing Notes.
In order to mark a Note to Display in Watch, Print on Statement, or Print on Receipt, you must also have rights to Edit Existing Comments when login names and passwords are set up.
Keyboard functions in Notes:
[Alt-N] – New
[Alt-D] – Delete
[Alt-E] – Email
[Alt-F] – Filter
[Alt-S] – Save
[Alt-O] – OK
[Alt-C] – Close