Diagnostic Code Linking
Diagnostic codes (ICD) are linked to medical codes (CPT) through the Diagnostic/Treatment Code Linking screen.
You must use the Diagnostic/Treatment Code Linking feature for linking to be shown in field 24-E on the HCFA form.
- If you type a number in the “X” field on the Medical Transaction screen, it will not be shown in field 24-E.
- If you do not use the Diagnostic/Treatment Code Linking feature, you would have to manually write in field 24-E.
Diagnostic codes (field 21) will always be shown on the HCFA form in the order they were entered on the Transaction screen.
The Diagnostic/Treatment Code Linking screen is only available if you first select either a diagnostic or a medical code. It is available from both the Dental and the Medical Transaction screens. Click here for more information about the Columns on the Medical Transaction screen.
If you need to link more than one code, you will repeat the following steps for each code. Only one code linking can be done at a time.
Follow these steps to link a diagnostic code to a medical code:
- Enter the CPT and ICD codes on the Medical Transaction screen.
- Right click on either the CPT (medical) code or the ICD (diagnostic)code.
- Select Edit Diag/Tx Linking from the right click menu.
- The Code field at the top of the screen will display information regarding the code that was selected.
- The list of codes to be displayed can be marked as All Codes, Today Only, or Unlinked Only.
- Select from the list to link the diagnostic code and the treatment. Click on the [Add Link] button.
- The bottom of the screen will display the codes that have been linked to the selected code.
- Click on [Done] when finished.
If you need to link more than one code, you will repeat the above steps for each code. Only one code linking can be done at a time.
To view the codes that have already been linked, you can always right click on a code on the Transaction screen and select Edit Diag/Tx Linking.
You can also remove a link if needed by following these steps:
- Click with the right mouse and select Edit Diag/Tx Linking.
- The bottom of this screen will display the linked code.
- Click on the [Remove Link] button.